Pages

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Pankaj Talkies : Origins - The First 11


So here I am, with the story of my life, from age 6 yrs to 15 yrs, backwards. The cast includes me, my parents, bro, a few friends who accompanied me to the movies, and above all, the theaters which hosted the first 11 movies that I experienced on big screen.

Toofani raat thi, zorron ki barsaat ho rahi thi......main, bhai aur papa movie ke night show ke liye ghar se bahar nikle, tabhi, achanak....... ok...can not fictionalise more but it indeed was raining that day. I did not notice the irony of mom not coming & the movie’s name at that time. A mutistarrer comic family drama, an entertaining movie with many funny moments, I just wished that Saif had a bigger role as I have always liked him since his Aashiq Awara days. Anil kapoor was fabulous, so was Tabu & songs were good too, still remember that haunting voice of Hema Sardesai in "Jungle hai aadhi raat hai". The movie was Biwi No. 1. (11)

Bareilly was the city where I started watching movies with friends, and it was there where I watched a Hollywood movie for the first time. The 2 hollywood movies that I did watch were pretty similar in the story, both were disaster (not disastrous) movies,in one it was a comet which collided with earth, in the other it was an asteroid, I am still not sure about the difference between both, may be they are step brothers. Both released in the same year, I watched both dubbed in hindi, I liked both, Deep Impact a bit more than Armageddon, watched them again later on laptop, still the scenes I can remember easily are from the first viewing; in Armageddon the shower of rocks/meteoroids, in Deep impact the huge wave engulfing New York (or whatever city it was) & the end scene where one of the leads manages to reach the top of a hill with his newlywed wife. I still love disaster movies and it is one of my favorite genre, I liked 2012 but still no movie has made an impact like Deep Impact on me. (10,9)


How many of you can claim to have watched the Last Day Last Show of a movie? I can, the movie was Independence Day, went with parents & bro, mom obviously did not like it at all, I loved it and still do. Aliens, spaceships, a president who fights aliens, Will Smith,
a computer virus, it had it all. (8)

Was that a school holiday, no, it was not, as I met two classmates in the cinema hall who bunked school, then what I was doing there, I never bunked school (compensated that more than enough in college life). Not able to remember, well, the movie was a multistarrer comedy, we did laugh a lot, there were ample funny scenes specially the one where Juhi Chawla and Aamir Khan meets first time. As far as I remember, it was Ajay Devgn’s first non action movie. The movie took the serious route in the second half which I became aware of at the last funny scene when my classmate who bunked school to watch the movie a second time told me, ab to aage boring hai, but I did enjoy that part too. The songs were too good, especially Neend Churai Meri, which is one of my all time favorites. For those whose movie knowledge is just like mine of "The sub-textual, emotional violence of the 19th century Victorian poetry" (phd subject of Ranbir Kapoor in Rajneeti), the movie was Ishq. (7)

In the two years that I lived in meerut (studied 6th & 7th class there) I watched only one movie in cinema hall, the perfect family movie of those times, Hum Aapke Hain Kaun. It was playing in Nandan Cinema and played for exactly 53 weeks. Rajshri production is still kind of stuck to that era which I do not mind, I just do not watch new movies made by them anymore. (6)

Before meerut I was in hapur for 3 years, we still have our home there, it is the city where I tell everyone I belong to but somehow I myself do not believe that, why so, lets leave it for another day.It was in Hapur where I came to know the existence of the legend of Mithun.

First I watched Phool aur Angaar on video at a cousin brother’s engagement. While the ring ceremony was on, I was busy watching Mithunda beating the hell out of the villians in a shamshaan ghat. Then, it was time for big screen, the movie was Krishan Avaatar, not able to remember much apart from that a dog & a brain tumour was involved. (5)

Before Hapur it was Moradabad where my Kendriya Vidyalaya journey started and later on ended when I completed 12th from the same school. Our home was nearby a road which hosted 5 cinema halls within 500 metres. This might explain four movies in a single year. I am still confused about the movie “Doodh Ka Karz” that if I watched it or not but I can remember Jackie Shroff playing his been in the den of amrish Puri, so I guess I did watch that. Another one was the epic Indra Kumar movie Dil. the songs were amazing, I liked the acting of everyone specially Anupam Kher as the kanjoos baap. The story was usual ameer garib but with some good twists. I remember the jail song and the lift crash scene the most. I also remember that the theatre was not one of the 5 nearby ones but another which was not much far and in the later years I revisited it to watch Kaho Na Pyaar Hai. (4,3)

The first two movies both had Jeetendra & Rekha, one was a family drama about which I remember only one thing, its very interesting name “Mera Pati Sirf Mera Hai”, am sure Ekta Kapoor just have to add one Kyunki in the name and start a daily soap and it will be superhit. (2)


The first ever movie that I experienced on big screeen was "Sheshnaag", a movie based on, what else, the snake world. Jumping Jack Jeetu as ichhadari naag is too much fun despite the bad audio. (1)


Yes, movies are my life.


8 comments:

  1. thou i have not read ur whole stuff but i know what kind of movies buff u r!!!
    So its good that you have started this blog.
    ALL D BEST

    Nitin Tripathi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, this is a great way to start... and now I am reminded of the times I used to go to "cinema halls" (ab to sab theatre bolte hain..).. very well written.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Start Dear... though we didn't noticed that u could be such a good writer in college days...Lazy Guy...but It came out through FB when u started 100 days 100 movies...

    I hope you will cover up "VANHELSING" in ur upcoming blog which we enjoyed at ghaziabad...U were so crazy tht u watched it 2 times...

    --Parmendra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pankaj Parashar ki Kahaani Moviezzz ki Zubaani.... thats a good start and am sure you would be able to link all major milestones in your life with Cinemaaaa.....!!! :)
    Good going Boss :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. got reminded of going to watch the movies with frnzzzzz....
    had a wonderful time!!!!
    congratulations pankaj on ur successful starting of this blog...!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great One Dear!!! It reminds me of Chetan Bhagat style of writing....U rock!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alright... a budding blog writer I see in there for sure ...
    fine.. I'll start now... I Like the fact that you try to give comical edge to your statements, but the problem if that you start with amazing kick and leave it suddenly like a deflating balloon, which acts as a jerk to your write ups. a lot of times I felt you were about to say more but you quit in between, spelling errors have definitely added salt to the story.. then I saw this one spot in your write up ..which i really liked "How many of you can claim to have watched the Last Day Last Show of a movie?"... but then again deflation happened .. you never mention later on which all movies have you seen last day last show...
    I find a Smart worthy Writer in you .. given you express yourself better .. and not write some and humm rest of it in your mind ...
    tip for next time... make someone read your write up and ask if he could actually see it in his mind exactly the way you wanted him to understand .. the day you get answer as yes... party is on me:-)
    wish you all the best .. hope next one shall have more words ... clear words:-)

    ReplyDelete